10 Things You Should Know When Recovering from Rhinoplasty
- Posted on: Jun 14 2013
Simply put, rhinoplasty, popularly known as a nose job is a cosmetic procedure designed to enhance the size, shape, and the overall appearance of your nose. At the Tehrani Plastic Surgery clinic in Newport Beach, California, rhinoplasty is performed under sedation with local anesthesia. You will most likely resume to normal activities including light exercises within 3 to 4 weeks. Here are 10 things you should know to quickly and safely recover from your Newport Beach rhinoplasty.
1. Forego any type of straining for the first 48 hours following surgery.
2. Consider elevating your head and shoulders with 2 pillows the first week following the surgery. Other things to keep in mind for the first week post-procedure include the following:
Avoid blowing your nose. If you feel like sneezing, consider sneezing through your mouth.
If you wish to exercise, walk but never run.
Avoid moderate to heavy lifting (anything more than 10 pounds).
Avoid bending forward or putting your head down.
3. Swelling is a normal occurrence 2 to 3 days post-procedure. To relieve swelling, apply a Swiss Eye Mask (cold surgical mask) or a sterile gauze pad with ice to the swollen areas. Never put pressure into the nasal splint.
4. When cleaning suture lines, use a Q-tip and dip in half strength hydrogen peroxide. Afterwards, you can apply a thin line of topical antibiotic to the surgical areas twice a day for the first 3 days. Do not forget to include the outermost insides of your nostrils when cleaning and applying topical ointment.
5. Bloody nasal discharge is quite normal for the first 2 to 3 days following surgery. Change the drip pad as needed. Do not attempt to blot or rub your nose as this will only cause irritation.
6. The nasal splint will be removed 6 to 10 days following surgery. After the splint is removed, do not wear glasses or any type of eyewear to rest on your nose for the next 3 to 4 weeks. If you need to wear glasses, it needs to be taped into your forehead. A member of our staff will show you how.
7. Do not take pain medications unless you experience pain. Avoid taking alcohol while drinking pain medications.
8. Contact Dr. Tehrani’s office if you notice increased bleeding characterized by bright red blood. While waiting for further instructions, sit up and apply pressure into to the tip of your nose for the first 15 minutes.
9. Numbness in the operated area following surgery is normal. This feeling will gradually disappear over time.
10. Do not smoke.
You will be asked to return to Dr. Tehrani’s office for follow-up care. It is important that you don’t skip these scheduled follow-up visits.
If you would like to learn more about recovering from a rhinoplasty in Newport Beach, CA, you can arrange a cosmetic consultation with us today! We will listen to your concerns, educate you about what is available for you, and make recommendations. Call today to book your appointment at Tehrani Plastic Surgery- where your comfort and convenience are considered priorities. Contact us at (760) 240-2444 or fill out this contact form. We look forward to your visit!