What Are Men Getting Done?
- Posted on: Sep 12 2011
Plastic surgery is not just for women anymore. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeon’s 2009 Fact Sheet, men represented nine percent of all cosmetic and reconstructive procedures for that year. While women still represent the largest number of plastic surgery patients, nine percent is roughly two million guys. We all know what the ladies are getting: breast augmentation, liposuction, and tummy tucks, in addition to a myriad of non-surgical techniques. So, when men get a little work done, what exactly are they going in for? Here is a list of the Top Five non-surgical procedures men elect to have done to improve their self-image:
- Botox: Botox parties aren’t just for girls! More than 300,000 guys had Botox in 2009. It’s fact, relatively inexpensive and is a great way to take years off before a reunion or other special event.
- Microdermabrasion: who doesn’t want to look younger? 177,000 men went in to have their faces rejuvenated.
- Laser Hair Removal: this one might seem a little counterintuitive, but even men can have too much hair; especially in places like on the back and other areas.
- Chemical Peel: a spa treatment staple, 93,000 men went in to scrape years off their appearance and make their skin look younger.
- Soft-Tissue Fillers: transdermal injections and fillers were popular with 71,000 guys. Soft tissue fillers can help reshape parts of the face including the nose and mouth areas. It is a great alternative to more permanent procedures such as rhinoplasties and eyelid surgery and has a much shorter recovery time.
This Top 5 list encompasses the non-surgical methods only. There are many surgical procedures that men select for more permanent changes. As plastic surgery technique becomes less invasive and more innovative, men are beginning to realize the many benefits to their appearance. In addition, society’s stigma on male enhancement from plastic surgery is quickly fading. More and more, men are discovering that plastic surgery can do what genetics and exercise cannot do. Men who go in for non-surgical treatments can look 10 years younger just in time for their 20th reunion!
Posted in: Procedures for Men