Lip enhancement is an alternative for augmentation and enhancement of the lips. Although injectable fillers are more commonly used for lip augmentation, this is an option for individuals seeking a more permanent result.
The desirable attributes of lip enhancement include the fact that they can be long lasting or permanent and patients do not need to undergo repeated needle sticks as they would with filler injection. Another advantage is that they are generally easy to place and can be removed easily if desired.
Larger & more voluptuous lips are the results.
Variants include the mini and extended facelift-necklift procedures. Procedure choice depends on your needs and must be discussed with your surgeon. Surgeons have recognized the three dimensional nature of the facial structures and often complemented this procedure with others to restore volume and address cosmetic issues throughout the facial-neck structures.
Often other facial procedures are performed at the same time including forehead lift, eyelid lift (blepharoplasty), chin and cheek implants, nose reshaping (rhinoplasty), liposculpture, chemical peel, laser resurfacing and lipotransfer.
Who is a Candidate for lip enhancement?
- Men and women desiring larger and fuller lips.
- Men and women who prefer a more permanent option for lip enlargement than injectable fillers or fat transfer.
- Adults who are in good health.
- Scuba divers, woodwind instrument or flute players may experience problems with previous function.
- Those for whom a change in mouth function could impair their professional activities (i.e. professional singers, public speakers, professional wind instrument players ) should pursue this option with caution.
- It is recommended that patients first try injectable fillers to see how they like larger lips before jumping to lip implants.
lip enhancement Results
- Larger, more voluptuous lips.
- Lips with enhanced volume and pout.
lip enhancement Procedure Description
- The procedure is performed in the office with local anesthesia.
- Numerous implants are available in different materials including :silicone , Gore-Tex, and inflatable silicone.
- Small punctures are made at the corners of the lips and a tunnel is created from one side of the lip to the other.
- The implant is threaded through the tunnel and plumps the lip.
- The small puncture incisions are usually closed with dissolvable sutures.
Healing from lip enhancement
- The recovery period averages 7-10 days.
- Swelling and bruising may occur to a variable degree and are usually mild.
- A soft diet is recommended for 4-5 days.
- The sutures are usually self dissolving.
Other Lip procedure Options
- Injectable fillers.
- Fat transfer, where the fat is first harvested from the abdomen or other sites and then injected in the lips.
Are there Risks?
Note:The specific risks and suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation with your cosmetic surgeon. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are unusual.
Who Will Perform My Surgery?
Dr. Ali Tehrani takes pride in personally performing all surgical procedures. He does not allow “residents”, “fellows”, or other surgeons to perform your surgery. In the rare instance that a “co-surgeon” will be appropriate, this will be discussed with you during your pre-operative appointment.