Consultations offered at our two convenient locations in La Jolla, CA and Apple Valley, CA
Look Years Younger!
A facelift is a surgical procedure to rejuvenate the appearance of your face. This revitalizing surgery can be tailored to meet your needs by addressing skin laxity and the shifting areas of fat brought on by age. A facelift can also be combined with other cosmetic procedures, such as a brow lift, neck lift, eyelid surgery, or rhinoplasty. During a facelift, the underlying structures of the face and neck are lifted and tightened, which can help reduce wrinkles, restore volume, and make you look years younger.
Dr. Ali Tehrani artfully tailors each facelift at Tehrani Plastic Surgery to revive his patients’ unique features and facial structure. Dr. Tehrani’s surgical methods produce minimal scarring and long-lasting rejuvenation, which is why he is the go-to board-certified surgeon for patients in Apple Valley, and San Diego, CA. So, if the person you see in the mirror doesn’t match how you feel on the inside, you are invited to schedule a private consultation at Tehrani Plastic Surgery today. Call (760) 240-2444 or fill out this form, and we will be in touch.
Follow our blog to learn more about Dr. Tehrani’s practice and his latest trends and techniques!
- 1 Look Years Younger!
- 2 Before and After Photos
- 3 More About Facelift
- 4 What are the Benefits of a Facelift in Apple Valley?
- 5 Candidates for Facelift Surgery
- 6 Personal Consultation in San Diego, CA
- 7 Preparing for Surgery
- 8 The Procedure
- 9 Recovery
- 10 Results of Facelift Surgery
- 11 Corresponding & Complimentary Procedures
- 12 What is the Cost of a facelift in San Diego, CA?
- 13 References
Before and After Photos
More About Facelift
As our skin ages, it starts to lose elasticity; the face can begin to sag as fat pads shift and the underlying muscles lose tone. Don’t forget about bone resorption, which can produce a sunken appearance as bone structure slowly declines.  These effects of aging are magnified by sun exposure, nicotine use, weight gain or loss, and diet.  Many of these factors act together to create a tired, aged look years before its time.
A facelift helps improve the most visible signs of aging by removing and redistributing excess fatty deposits, tightening underlying muscles, and removing sagging skin. Surgeons have recognized the three-dimensional nature of the facial structures and often complement a facelift with other procedures to restore volume and address cosmetic issues throughout the facial-neck structures. Dr. Tehrani utilizes different techniques based on patient needs. For example, the standard facelift addresses the lower third of the face and the upper neck. Variants include the mini and extended facelift-neck lift procedures. Your procedure choice depends on your needs and will be discussed with Dr. Tehrani during a consultation.
Mini facelift accomplishes youthful rejuvenation with a shorter recovery and minimal post-procedure discomfort or numbness. If you have a moderate degree of facial aging and good skin elasticity, you may be an ideal candidate for a mini facelift. The mini facelift is a minimally-invasive method of tightening the skin of the lower face to restore smooth, youthful contours.
Dr. Tehrani performs the mini facelift using half-inch incisions, through which he inserts a tiny fiber-optic camera. The camera allows Dr. Tehrani to visualize the internal structures of the face and neck while minimizing strain on the area. Next, Dr. Tehrani uses the optic camera and sophisticated tools to excise and tighten the underlying tissues.
An Extended facelift will lift and tighten the underlying tissue and muscles to a greater degree than a standard facelift. As a result, the incisions may span farther along the temple. Dr. Tehrani uses the Extended facelift to help correct more advanced facial aging and reverse the appearance of crow’s feet, nasolabial folds, and marionette lines.
What are the Benefits of a Facelift in Apple Valley?
The benefits of a facelift are both functional and cosmetic, and these effects will last for years. The procedure can help to:
- Lift sagging skin on the face and neck
- Tighten underlying muscles
- Reduce wrinkles
- Improve the appearance of jowls
- Correct skin laxity around the neck
- Create a more youthful facial appearance
The goal of a facelift is to improve the most visible signs of aging and help patients feel more confident in their appearance. Dr. Tehrani’s focus on precise techniques and his use of the latest technology help to ensure that his patients achieve natural-looking results.
Candidates for Facelift Surgery
Ideal candidates for a facelift are men and women in overall good health and do not have pre-existing conditions that impede their ability to heal. In addition, facelift candidates should have positive but realistic expectations of the outcomes this procedure can achieve. The ideal age for facelift surgery is between ages 30 and 65 with signs of again, such as:
- Jowl formation (i.e., sagging of the lower cheeks and jawline).
- Poorly defined jawline.
- A wrinkled, saggy neck with pockets of adipose tissue.
If you have advanced facial aging that makes you look tired, aged, or unwell, you are a good candidate for a facelift.
Personal Consultation in San Diego, CA
During your consultation with Dr. Tehrani, he will assess your physical health and overall well-being to ensure you are a good candidate for surgery. Dr. Tehrani will also evaluate your skin type and elasticity and discuss your goals for the procedure. In addition, he will explain the different kinds of facelifts available and help you choose the best option based on your unique needs and goals.
Dr. Tehrani will provide detailed pre- and post-operative instructions to help ensure a smooth and successful surgery and recovery. To learn more about facelift surgery and to find out if you are a good candidate, contact our office today to schedule a personal consultation. Call (760) 240-2444 today!
Preparing for Surgery
In order to prepare for a safe and comfortable surgery and recovery, there are certain things required of our patients, including:
- Avoid drinking alcohol for at least two weeks before surgery
- Stop smoking for at least two weeks before and after surgery
- Avoid taking certain medications, such as aspirin or other blood thinners that can increase bleeding
- Arrange for a friend or family member to drive you home after surgery and stay with you for at least the first 24 hours
- Arrange for help at home should you require it during recovery
- Collect all prescribed medicine before your surgery date
On the day of surgery, patients should arrive in comfortable clothing that is loose-fitting and easy to put on and take off. Avoid wearing makeup, lotions, deodorant, or perfume, as these can increase the risk of infection. Patient preference and the extent of your surgery will determine if you receive local anesthesia with or without oral sedation, conscious sedation, or general anesthesia.
The details of your surgical plan will depend on the needs of your case and Dr. Tehrani’s professional recommendation. Dr. Tehrani will custom-tailor your facelift, mini facelift, or Extended facelift based on the discussed goals during your consultation. Additional procedures such as forehead lift or blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) may be combined to achieve the most lifted, youthful look possible; these procedures will be decided upon during the consultation.
The surgery will range from under two hours for a mini facelift to seven or eight hours for a more involved rejuvenation.
During surgery, Dr. Tehrani will make incisions in the hairline in front of and behind the ear, where they are easily concealed. He will address your concerns and then use sutures or staples to close the incisions. We will then place an elastic dressing around the face and neck to aid in healing and keep your incisions clean and dry. A small, thin tube may also be placed under the skin to drain any excess blood or fluid. Finally, we will take you to the recovery area to rest and recover from the anesthesia.
You will receive personalized recovery instructions to help you complete your most comfortable recovery following a facelift. Here are some critical elements:
- Due to the after-effects of anesthesia, patients should ask a friend or family member to drive them home following surgery.
- Recovery may be at home with a responsible adult, in a recovery facility, or overnight in the hospital.
- Wear your compression garment around the lower face and neck for approximately one week.
- Bruising and swelling are typical and may take several weeks to resolve.
- Stiffness in the neck and some soreness with swallowing and eating is standard.
- You will return to see Dr. Tehrani for the removal of sutures and staples within two weeks.
- Drains, if used, are usually removed 1-3 days after the procedure.
- Make-up can be applied over the skin immediately but not over the incisions for 2-3 weeks.
You will return throughout your recovery for follow-up appointments with Dr. Tehrani; you must keep all of these appointments. If you have any questions during your recovery, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Results of Facelift Surgery
The results of your facelift surgery will continue to improve in the weeks following surgery. You will see the final results of your facelift as swelling subsides, usually within two to three weeks. Standard and Extended facelifts’ effects will last for 15 years or more! The results of a mini facelift last an average of six years. 
A facelift will produce:
- A sharper and better-defined jawline
- Improved neck and chin profile
- Skin that looks smoother and tighter
- A less tired and more youthful look
Get ready for the compliments because you will look years younger without looking like you’ve had any work done!
Corresponding & Complimentary Procedures
A facelift does not treat the lines around the mouth and will not improve skin surface defects and discoloration. For these issues, we recommend treatments like Botox or a state-of-the-art skin resurfacing treatment like Morpheus8.
Facial aging affects every individual differently. Often other facial procedures are performed at the same time as a facelift, including:
- Forehead Lift
- Eyelid Lift (Blepharoplasty)
- Chin and Cheek Implants
- Nose Reshaping (Rhinoplasty)
What is the Cost of a facelift in San Diego, CA?
The price of a facelift at Tehrani Plastic Surgery will reflect the details of your personalized surgical plan, including the type of facelift, the targeted area, and the extent of your facelift surgery. Once you have customized your plan with Dr. Tehrani, you will receive an appropriate cost breakdown. So don’t let your face age another day without a plan for facelift surgery with Dr. Tehrani. Call (760) 240-2444 today!
- Birkhold AI, Razi H, Duda GN, Weinkamer R, Checa S, Willie BM. The influence of age on adaptive bone formation and bone resorption. Biomaterials. 2014;35(34):9290-9301. doi:10.1016/j.biomaterials.2014.07.051
- Naidoo K, Birch-Machin M. Oxidative Stress and Ageing: The Influence of Environmental Pollution, Sunlight and Diet on Skin. Cosmetics. 2017;4(1):4. doi:10.3390/cosmetics4010004
- Antell DE, May JM, Bonnano MJ, Lee NY. A Comparison of the Full and Short-Scar Face-Lift Incision Techniques in Multiple Sets of Identical Twins. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2016;137(6):1707-1714. doi:10.1097/prs.0000000000002229