New survey results reveal that there were 14.6 million cosmetic surgery procedures done in the United States in 2012.The American Society of Plastic Surgeons recently released the numbers, both for surgical and non-invasive procedures. In Inland Empire, residents only trust Dr. Ali Tehrani for their plastic surgery needs — from breast augmentation to reducing the appearance of wrinkles with Botox.
“For the third consecutive year, the overall growth in cosmetic surgery continues to be driven by a significant rise in minimally-invasive procedures, while surgical procedures remain relatively stable,” announced ASPS President Gregory Evans, MD. He further added, “We are aware, however, that patients who begin with less invasive treatments with a plastic surgeon may opt for more invasive, surgical procedures once required.”
Botox Soars High
With 6.1 million procedures recorded in 2012, Botox tops the list in the minimally-invasive category, an 8 percent increase from 2011. All in all, there were 13 million minimally-invasive procedures in 2012. The top 5 procedures include the following:
- Botulinum toxin type A (6.1 million procedures, up 8 percent)
- Soft tissue fillers (2 million procedures, up 5 percent)
- Chemical peel (1.1 million procedures, up 2 percent)
- Laser hair removal (1.1 million procedures, up 4 percent)
- Microdermabrasion (974,000 procedures, up 8 percent)
Male Breast Reduction Shoots Up
While female breast surgeries declined to 2 percent than last year, male breast reduction (gynecomastia) procedures shoot up to 5 percent more than 2011, with roughly 21,000 males asking for the procedure.
Female cosmetic breast surgeries such as breast augmentation, as well as body contouring procedures like tummy tucks, were some of the most popular procedures performed in 2012, although they saw declines,” said Dr. Evans.
All in all, the top 5 surgical procedures were the following:
- Breast augmentation (286,000 procedures, down 7 percent)
- Nose reshaping (243,000 procedures, no change)
- Liposuction (202,000 procedures, down 1 percent)
- Eyelid surgery (204,000 procedures, up 4 percent)
- Facelift (126,000 procedures, up 6 percent)
Reconstructive Surgeries Increased, Too
Reconstructive surgeries which aim to improve appearance and function of abnormal structures increased by 1 percent in 2012. The top 5 reconstructive surgeries include:
- Tumor removal (4.2 million, up 1 percent)
- Laceration repair (291,000, down 4 percent)
- Maxillofacial surgery (209,000, up 7 percent)
- Scar revision (171,000, down 2 percent)
- Hand surgery (123,000, up 3 percent)
The plastic surgery industry is looking forward this year to more people realizing that cosmetic procedures can greatly help them improve their appearance.
Arrange your cosmetic consultation with Dr. Ali Tehrani today! He will listen to your concerns, educate you about what is available for you, and make recommendations. Call today to book your appointment at Tehrani Plastic Surgery- where your comfort and convenience are considered priorities. Contact us at (760)240-2444 or fill out this contact form. We look forward to your visit!